by Kevin Crossley-Holland
Six mysterious, haunting, and sorrowful stories about children and people who are isolated from their communities. Notes at the end of the book explain the tales' origins.
- Sea-Woman: a girl listens to her mother's history via a shell
- The Green Children: two children enter a differently-coloured world
- The Wildman: a man who lives in the sea is caught in a net
- Fine Field of Flax: a teen is shunned when she bears an illegitimate child
- Three Blows: a young man falls in love with a sea-woman
- Sea Tongue: a village is swallowed by the sea