Twelve Impossible Things Before Breakfast
by Jane Yolen
This is an interesting collection of stories from the incomparable Jane Yolen. She has a knack for turning something ordinary into something magical. The twelve tales in this collection are mysterious, scary, funny, sad, and heroic. In other words, there's something for everyone.
Here's a brief summary:
- Tough Alice: Alice fights the Jabberwock in Wonderland
- Mama Gone: a girl's love for her mother (a vampire story)
- Harlyn's Fairy: Harlyn saves a fairy's baby
- Phoenix Farm: a girl finds a phoenix egg
- Sea Dragon of Fife: Robert sets out to avenge his brothers' deaths
- Wilding: futuristic story about Zena, who turns into an animal for a night of adventure. Attacked in the park, she's saved by a max, who controls the Wild Things (yes, it's an homage to Sendak)
- The Baby-Sitter: classic horror story with a twist
- Bolundeers: a family is threatened by monsters
- The Bridge's Complaint: a bridge wants a troll to protect it from goats
- Brandon and the Aliens: siblings fight aliens
- Winter's King: a boy who loves the cold searches for his kin
- Lost Girls: In Neverland, Peter has enslaved the Wendys. But when Darla arrives, she gets them to go on strike.