November 5, 2014

Soldier's story a must-read


Generals Die In Bed
by Charles Yale Harrison


Charles Yale Harrison was an American who served with the Canadian Expeditionary Force during World War I. Harrison's stark, straight-forward prose pulls readers directly into the action, capturing life as it truly was during a time of unimaginable horror.

Highly recommended.



Here's an excerpt from the book. The unnamed narrator is in a trench, on sentry duty.

Something leaps towards my face.
I jerk back, afraid.
Instinctively I feel for my rifle in the corner of the bay.
It is a rat.

It is as large as a tomcat. It is three feet away from my face and it looks steadily at me with its two staring, beady eyes. It is fat. Its long tapering tail curves away from its padded hindquarters. There is still a little light from the stars and this light shines faintly on its sleek skin. With a darting movement it disappears. I remember with a cold feeling that it was fat, and why.


No comments: